Monday, September 22, 2014

The Employment Defense

Why, when I'm questioning somebody about a crime, do I so often get the indignant and completely irrelevant "job speech"? Such as:

Officer Cynical: "So, did you steal your neighbor's lawn mower?"

Suspect: "Hey! I go to work everyday. I have a job!"

Officer Cynical: "Well, that's great. But, did you steal your neighbor's lawn mower?"

Suspect: "I make money. I work hard for that money. I work 50, maybe 60 hours a week."

Officer Cynical: "I get that. Very admirable. Just tell me if you stole your neighbor's lawn mower."

Suspect: "Man, I get up early every morning and bust my ass all day just to support my wife and kids!"

Officer Cynical: "Oh, shut the fuck up. You're not the only thief who has a full-time job."

OK, I made that last bit up.

2 comments:

Jono said...

But you really wanted to say it, didn't you?

Charlotte said...

Several months back we had an unusual situation here in Sullivan County, TN. After a really destructive storm, one man stopped by his neighbor's house to see if he could help with the clean-up. He saw in the neighbor's damaged garage several large-ticket items that had been stolen from his house earlier in the week. Talk about serendipity.