Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Feel-Good Moment

I got flagged down by a frantic single mom, whose two little boys had disappeared from in front of their house. They'd been gone for nearly an hour, and she couldn't find them. As we always do in these cases, all available cars responded to the area and started looking. After another 15 minutes or so, the kids showed up at home. I drove over there to check on everybody, and gently admonished the kids about staying near the house unless they had mom's permission. Done.

Later, I came into the station to finish off the day's paperwork. In my mailbox were a 'Thank You' card from mom, handmade 'I'm Sorry' cards from the kids, and a huge Tupperware container of homemade cookies with a note attached saying they'd been made by the whole family.

On some days - on some very, very rare days - Officer Cynical becomes a little less cynical for just a minute.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice story. Keep up the good work.

Jen in San Jose

Pam said...

Awwwwww

Geno said...


It's about time someone noticed your good work!

Jeff said...

A full minute???? Great story.

heimdal615 said...

I did the same thing when I was six years old. I actually did it twice. The first time, my parents yelled at me. The second time, they got out the big guns and spoke to my neighbor who lived at the bottom of the cul-de-sac.

Well, my neighbor was an FBI agent who worked in the unit that dealt with crimes against children. I used to go down to his house all the time to play with his yellow Lab. I was there the next day and he told me to get all my friends, who would also play with the dog, and he'd tell us all a story. So I got all my friends.

The story was about Adam Walsh.

That nipped the problem in the bud.

bobbie said...

Late to the party ~ but these are the moments nurses and cops and teachers live for ~
Remember it forever ~

bobbie