Thursday, November 6, 2014

If Ben and Jerry Call, Don't Answer

I'm amazed at the number of "suicidal" calls we get. I work in a fairly economically sound, low-crime city, but there's no shortage of people who claim they're about to kill themselves. Happily, those that actually do it generally don't call the police first.

My most memorable suicidal guy lived in a rundown apartment near downtown. When Officer Sarcastic and I arrived he was clearly depressed, and so we tried to talk to him about what was going on. Since one of our biggest concerns on a call like that is the weapons the person might have, we asked the guy how he intended to kill himself.

He thought about that for a minute, then said, "Well, I thought I'd eat a gallon of ice cream before bedtime, then have a stroke in my sleep". Officer Sarcastic and I just looked at one another for a minute, then he asked the guy, "So, what flavor ice cream would you use for that, rocky road?"  "No", the guy replied, "I don't like rocky road". We never did get a clear answer, and the guy went off for his psych eval.

1 comment:

Retired APRN said...

Good one, Officer Sarcastic. 'Tis a rocky road indeed.